Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Achy Breaky Heart











Ginger's Coffee Corral special of the day! Yum....

















188,592. I salute you, old friend














1. Ode to a car








My beloved 4-Runner is being retired to Montana. 188,592 miles. In 40 years of driving, this is the first emotional bond I have had with a vehicle. This car and I have been through a lot -- many trips to NC, 5 round trips to MT, a zillion trips up and down my "road" in Nye. Through it all, this car has been trusty and loyal....not a looker, mind you, but a pal. I feel like a cad.... tossing aside the faithful companion for automotive arm candy (a "harvest gold" 2009 Subaru)..... I suppose I will recover and enjoy my new wheels but I am feeling a bit like an adulterer. Rest assured, dear 4-Runner, you will always be my Montana car.



2. Book ends



I arrived in Nye with snow on the mountains and now, there is a new dusting of snow after the summer melt. The evenings are crisp and mornings chilly. If I did not know better, I would be calling a cardiologist. My heart aches right now... I love my mountain house. I love my mountains. I love my wacky little town (it is like reality tv without the commercials). Snow on the mountains is serving as my visual bookends.



3. Warning: if you encounter me over the next few weeks, expect a sullen and grumpy soul. And it had better not be hot in Atlanta.



and the local color for the day: Fried Spam Sandwiches!!!!! Take that you celebrity chefs of the "deconstructed waldorf salad" menus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment