Saturday, June 19, 2010

Small town charm


The howling winds of the past few days have abated and people are no longer quoting lines from The Wizard of Oz. So, time to focus on what is great here.


1. I went to the "Nye Mall" for some provisions (store is about the size of a small garage and every inch is covered with merchandise ranging from fishing line to diapers, from beer to thumbtacks). No carts or baskets. You just start stacking your stuff on Bill's table. I checked out and realized, halfway up the hill, that I did not remember putting the can of soup in a bag. Got home and there was a phone message from Connie apologizing for not seeing the can by the penny jar. huh? that does not happen in Atlanta... even at my wonderful Publix.


2. out on manuevers, I stopped at the Muddy Lamb to pick up a homemade candle. Carol, the owner, was nowhere to be found. Gretchen, a local artist, was finishing up and project and wanted to pay Carol for something. After 5 minutes, I just wrote Carol a note, left money on the counter, took my candle and left. Gotta love that faith in your customer!


oh, and while I was there, I signed for the UPS delivery. I went next door to the Fishtail General Store and the UPS guy went there too, bought a soft drink and a piece of pizza and sat by the cashier to enjoy lunch and a visit.

The latest episode of Green Acres: To save money, I decided that any idiot (namely, me) could stain a deck. How hard could it be? I bought a 5 gallon drum of stain. Naturally, the job was a bit more than I anticipated so the staining took place over the course of several days (interrupted by rain which is contraindicated for staining). I finished the last batch yesterday morning and the bottom of the barrel was a much different color than the rest. Had I not sitted the stain enough during the process? Was this a curse by the DYI gods? All I need is a pile of empty beer cans (PBR could be best) to complete the effect. great.
The morning is amazingly still today... the only sound -- birds. and my snoring dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment